PDA

View Full Version : Planning on Building a PC next month

Shixx
08-28-2008, 05:09 PM
I made a wish list on New egg for parts I want to get for my future gaming pc
but I'd love to here your Comments and advice on it. what you think I should do different or not do Ect.
I was told the Difference between Duo and Quad wasn't really noticable for gaming
That's why I chose Duo.
Also I'm yet to decide on a mother board I want one that will support future updates I might do.
and wont burn up or crash.
Future Computer (http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=4985949)

VenomGundam
08-28-2008, 05:38 PM
well im semi to my dream computer i need a new processor ram and a new case

that's pretty expensive all i can say is good luck with it all

Veriaset
08-28-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm sorry I can't help you much but I do know a good site for PC building, It's about building a computer, http://http://computer.howstuffworks.com/build-a-computer.htm

Trunks
08-28-2008, 05:39 PM
1,000 for a computer lol? Do you have that much on you?

LiNuX
08-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Microsoft XP 64 bit? I've never used it but my friends that have told me its not as good as 32 bit. It'll slow you down and its just bad. The last sentence is almost an exact quote from someone tried tried 64 bit xp lol.

as for GPU i would recommend this one: Newegg.com - XFX PVT98FYDF9 GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150287)

9800gtx much better and EVGA may be "namey" but their products aren't as great as XFX, especially when dealing with Graphics Cards. I have exp with both and so far XFX products are hell of a lot more stable and you can overclock with confidence but there is still a risk of it blowing up lol, but its still a lower risk than EVGA imo.

And really? Patriot Ram? lol, OCZ and Corsair pwns Patriot any day in stability and power. I'd recommend these: Newegg.com - XFX PVT98FYDF9 GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150287)

I have the 1 gb version of those cards on my server. Runs great, I run them for months at a time and the heatsinks are really good and ITS CHEAPER lol. Great for gaming. Lower voltage than others so you don't have to worry about it hogging power.

If you want OCZ go with these: Newegg.com - XFX PVT98FYDF9 GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150287)

very good even though the voltage is higher the ram gives you happiness lol

I am not gonna comment on the CPU or the case, good choices

As for the PSU, i really doubt you will need a 1000 watts of power with the stuff you have, you can get it, i won't complain but i think you are just wasting money on power that you won't use. A 700 watt should be fine but thats up to you.

Good luck building the thing :)

Shixx
08-28-2008, 05:55 PM
1,000 for a computer lol? Do you have that much on you?
Trying to slim down the price actually. $700-ish would be nice...

@Linux I'll look at all that, see what I get and post the results.

LiNuX
08-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Trying to slim down the price actually. $700-ish would be nice...

@Linux I'll look at all that, see what I get and post the results.

if you want $700ish then dont get the extra CPU fan, the original cpu will come with a fan and that will be enough unless you plan on making the whole thing super hot

and also the case is not that much of a deal, it just gives you room and the exterior looks, you can try to tone down and get a case for around $40 instead of the $90 you have on there

note: i didn't check rebates or other savings.

Shixx
08-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Hmm, is DDR3 Worth the extra cost?

Also, Linux, all your links are the same?

LiNuX
08-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Hmm, is DDR3 Worth the extra cost?

Also, Linux, all your links are the same?

rofl i just noticed, firefox didn't copy properly

corsair memory: Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184)

and ocz: Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227280)

the gpu is correct

sorry about that, didn't notice my copy feature wasn't working properly

and also if you are talking about DDR3 RAM then no, don't get it, not worth it right now, they are also slow for some reason but if you want DDR3 GPU then go for it

Veriaset
08-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Linux you seem to know alot you build you PC?

Shixx
08-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Alright, pretty much done except for the Mobo and still kinda iffy on the OS.
I hear alot of bad things about Vista and when I used vista it was just a pain in the a$$
but then people say Vista is getting better. Might just go with XP pro 32bit and update later(but that's more money I'll have to spend later..). Does Vista have any real benefits for games? besides Directx10?

Veriaset
08-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Alright, pretty much done except for the Mobo and still kinda iffy on the OS.
I hear alot of bad things about Vista and when I used vista it was just a pain in the a$$
but then people say Vista is getting better. Might just go with XP pro 32bit and update later(but that's more money I'll have to spend later..). Does Vista have any real benefits for games? besides Directx10?

I know what you mean my friend has got Vista on his gaming Laptop and he has lots of bugs with stuff hes downloaded for games.

LiNuX
08-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Linux you seem to know alot you build you PC?

yeah i've built a few and have worked with hardware :) i even posted my server and pc pics on here a while ago - i've upgraded more pcs than i've built so i know what will go well for stuff

Veriaset
08-28-2008, 08:44 PM
yeah i've built a few and have worked with hardware :) i even posted my server and pc pics on here a while ago - i've upgraded more pcs than i've built so i know what will go well for stuff

Cool if I ever need some help I'll message you.

LiNuX
08-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Cool if I ever need some help I'll message you.

alright i'll be here

@shixx, if you get xp 32 bit just stay with it, i've been using it for years for all types of games and it hasn't failed me

it wont' recognize more than 3.5 gb RAM which is the only downside to it but its really good other than that - it'll also probably show 3.25 GB because they always put some aside

Shixx
08-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Alright, Check out the results(may change) and tell me what you think.

Results (http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=4985949)

LiNuX
08-29-2008, 09:06 AM
new comment: windows vista home? really? lol, its kinda horrible for gaming and sometimes it'll make you wish you were on windows 98 instead lol

Shixx
08-29-2008, 12:05 PM
And Ultimate would be better?

LiNuX
08-29-2008, 12:09 PM
And Ultimate would be better?

Windows XP would be 10x better than that

my dad's laptop has Vista Business - i probably use it more than him, it's alright for the simple stuff but I wouldn't recommend vista for gaming yet because some of the old school games won't work on vista properly

I have a friend that plays ROSE with me occasionally on Vista home i think, and from him i have heard the game isn't as fun even though ROSE is designed to work on Vista, visa is just blahh with games

but you could be one of the people that actually like it. Don't let me influence your decisions a 100%, i am just telling you my opinion of vista :)

Shixx
08-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Hmm, my thing is in a few years I will pretty much have to switch to Vista..
I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to turn around and buy vista anyway in a few years. plus with SP1 I hear they have improved alot of the problems so before too long there shouldn't be any. I probably wont know for sure what i'll do until the last minute on that because I love XP and Vista is like having an annoying little brother.

LiNuX
08-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Hmm, my thing is in a few years I will pretty much have to switch to Vista..
I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to turn around and buy vista anyway in a few years. plus with SP1 I hear they have improved alot of the problems so before too long there shouldn't be any. I probably wont know for sure what i'll do until the last minute on that because I love XP and Vista is like having an annoying little brother.

xp has lasted very long if you haven't noticed and it is still the most used OS among not just gamers, but everyone.

think about this, in a few years, if you HAVE to upgrade, you will probably have a job or so or some kind of fund source to get what you need easily

like i was able to build my server because i had the money from my last job, my dad did have to help out a little but not much - same with my current computer

but again it really don't matter what you go with, having this kind of experience will probably be good for you, and i am speaking through experience but this is second hand exp for you, so trying it first hand might not be bad :) good luck with whatever it is you decide

Shixx
08-30-2008, 01:59 AM
Alright I think I'm pretty much done, Check it out.
I pretty much gave up on the $700 idea I'll just have to MAKE this last atleast 5 years which I can do, the one I have now I built in 2002.
All I updated was the RAM, Video card and USB 2.0. Probably should have updated the Processor too though.

Results (http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=4985949)

LiNuX
08-30-2008, 02:22 AM
lol mushkin ram, my old toshiba laptop had that, failed miserably, replaced with a wintec later, much better - could have been an isolated incident but never used mushkin after that

and looks like you got a more expensive case and mobo lol, heh..good luck - i built a whole computer in February with about a $100 including a new monitor for $179 (19" Acer)

you picked out intel so thats probably why its much more expensive, i am more of the AMD guy, cheaper and they can pack the same amount of power. They are worth it for the money you pay for it.

I have never built an Intel PC from scratch - I've upgraded and taken apart intel but never from scratch lol

Shixx
08-30-2008, 02:46 AM
I used to be an AMD Fan but their Dual Core isn't as good as Intel's IMO.
Intel is slightly Faster, Takes less Voltage and is Cooler.
The Mushkin RAM I've never used personally but my Friend has had the same thing in his PC for a couple years.
The Case I did have Had Noise problems from what the Reviews said and I'm abit paranoid about having enough room lol I'd rather have too much room. I'm cool with a Plain Black Case but I didn't feel like looking for one with plenty of room.
The mobo Should be able to Support any updates I do in the Future aswell as OC'ing.

Thanks for your Input, you helped Alot. I can't buy this until September so I have 2 weeks to think about stuff and make sure I get everything.